Leery of Starcraft Launch Ultra Lite 28BHS...should I be?

Discuss these hardside and hybrid camper trailers packed with amenities.
pmames

Re: Leery of Starcraft Launch Ultra Lite 28BHS...should I be?

Post by pmames » March 16th, 2017, 10:28 am

We looked at the 28 BHS and bought a 2017 27BHU. Our first TT, after a 25 year old popup, was a 2014 AR-one 15RB, just not comfortable for us 50 somethings at the time.. We went with a 2015 Jayco 24 FBS, it was not big enough for frequent company. We had our shakedown trip with our 27 BHU this weekend. We had no issues except figuring out the 61.6 gray water was 2 tanks and only one pull is labeled. We are very pleased with it.
2017 StarCraft 27 BHU
2015 Jayco 24FBS traded
2014 StarCraft AR One 15RB
2014 Ram HEMI
Woodstock GA

curtis reed

Post by curtis reed » March 15th, 2017, 3:41 pm

I have owned two popups and two TT's. By far, my highest quality camper has been my Starcraft Launch 27bhu. I would buy another one in a second.

GaryG

Post by GaryG » February 7th, 2017, 1:53 am

Yes, we have a 2016 28BHS and feel the dinette is small as well. I wondered why it didn't at least come out another 2"s to at least align up with the wall between the double bunks and the dinette. The counter height seems average to me and my wife. However, we really are pleased with the unit so far. We bought it used last summer and have only used it a few times. It was traded in on a large motor home. We have several trips already booked for this spring and summer.
2016 Starcraft 26 BHS Launch Ultra Lite - Gary from Boise, Idaho

pmames

Post by pmames » February 7th, 2017, 12:02 am

We looked at a new 2016 ultra lite 28BHS. Thee dinette is small for the campers size, the bunks are not as comfortable and smaller than normal, and the stove counter was very low. If you haven't, look at the 27BHU. We pick our 27 BHU up on 2/17. We traded a 2015 Jayco 24 FBS for the StarCraft. Both were ,until last summer , owned by Jayco, now owned by Thor. Jayco remains managing entity. Probably would have bought another Jayco if there was a dealer in the Altanta area other than Camping World.
2017 StarCraft 27 BHU
2015 Jayco 24FBS traded
2014 StarCraft AR One 15RB
2014 Ram HEMI
Woodstock GA

kuba122

Post by kuba122 » January 26th, 2017, 2:28 pm

I've heard many stories about Starcraft Trailers, both good and bad. I received a recall notice on mine about the front window, took it to the shop (which is a pain) and it, supposedly was fine. I noticed, later, that the caulk around the front window (with the flip up cover) was breaking down. I also found a pool of water in the underliner below the bathroom.

I removed all of the caulk around the front window and replaced it I also recaulked the entire bathroom shower. The shower caulk was not done well, at all, from the factory. I used specific RV window caulk on the front window and Regular Silicone Kitchen and bath caulk in the bathroom.

I had these problems within the second year we owned our trailer from the day we bought it, new. I haven't seen any leaking, anywhere, since all of this stuff was done. Pay attention to especially the caulk and seals on these trailers, they are your only defense from water .....
2014 Starcraft AR-One 15RB
2006 Chevrolet Silverado

keribear

Post by keribear » January 16th, 2017, 3:43 am

My husband and I bought a Launch 24RLS it's been in the shop since August of 2016. There was a leak at the upper marker light. Starcraft is supposed to replace my front end cap but it's been a hassle from the Starcraft person we were dealing with who half the time he couldn't tell us when the front end cap was supposed to be shipped to the dealer. We were informed the guy we were dealing with didn't work there anymore then he was and then it he wasn't again. Supposedly the part is supposed to be shipped out January 26 but we will see. The camper was in the shop the first part of the year due to mismatch trim and missing moulding. Starcraft will never see a dime of my money again.

oldenuftoknowbetter

Post by oldenuftoknowbetter » December 29th, 2016, 9:13 pm

I visited the same Facebook site while researching my 26BHS. It about scared me away. I'm going on a year owning my Launch and couldn't be happier.
2013 Ford F-150 Supercrew 5.0L w/factory tow package
2016 Starcraft Launch UltraLite 26BHS w/ Reese WDH

GaryG

Post by GaryG » December 28th, 2016, 5:13 am

I bought the same 2016 Starcraft model and love it. It was actually 6 months old (it was traded in on a motor home). We have only used it three or four times last spring and love it. The floor plan is what really sold us along with the small couch slide. It just gives so much more room and only added a few hundred lbs to what we traded in (2016 Forrest River 26ft lite). We love the queen bed & mattress. The trailer just seems to be solidly built and pulls much easier then the Forrest River. It's about 3ft longer however. It just had so many upgrades compared to what we traded in.

The really only negative is the creaking floors. Called starcraft and they said they are just that way. I put a few headless screws in floors in a few places in front of the kitchen cabinets and that helped. No leaks, good quality, love the fiberglass siding, frame-less windows (haven't seen another one with this option) and the aluminum frame. Love the awning, LED lights throughout. I do miss the black tank wash out valve. I didn't realize it didn't have one until the first time we used the trailer and it was time to empty the black tank. I guess these can be added later if you are up to it. Saw a youtube video on how to install them.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy a starcraft unit. Some even say it is higher quality than Jayco, although jayco now owns Starcraft. Good luck if you buy the starcraft. Like all RV brands, there are always a few that get poorly constructed and a few dealers that render poor customer service.
2016 Starcraft 26 BHS Launch Ultra Lite - Gary from Boise, Idaho

secal48

Post by secal48 » December 28th, 2016, 3:58 am

If you go over to the jayco owners forum. I believe it's jaycoowners.com, there is a section there for Starcraft owners and you'll find lots of Happy owners there. It's a much livelier forum than this one also. Good luck and have fun.
2017 Launch 24RLS
2012 Dodge Durango

MetalManDC

Post by MetalManDC » December 28th, 2016, 3:09 am

Thanks for the feedback. We've had a Fleetwood Sequoia tent trailer for 10 years and have loved it. Leaning toward the Launch Ultra Lite because of the HappiJac beds and the layout. Can't tell you how many trailers we've researched and it's the only one with everything we want. Anyone else want to weigh in?