Exterior Clearance lights wired to table light and bed lighting!

Discuss these hardside and hybrid camper trailers packed with amenities.
BassmanOC

Re: Exterior Clearance lights wired to table light and bed lighting!

Post by BassmanOC » September 4th, 2015, 10:32 pm

The dealer fixed the problem in just a few hours at their shop. Kudos to Trailer City in Commack, NY! Everything is working great now! :D
Starcraft 16RB Launch 2016

BassmanOC

Post by BassmanOC » August 24th, 2015, 8:54 pm

Yes, clearance markers must be connected to the "Bed, bath, dinette" lighting circuit on the converter. the plug connections are inside, under the front dinette seat, and i see no jumps as you describe. (The plug itself is factory molded.)Just cant figure out where within that circuit they are crossed. Only place i haven't looked is the bed lighting connections. I can fix it if it is something simple like that, but if it's behind the converter, ill have the dealer fix it. Thanks again for your help Moallen!

BassmanOC

Post by BassmanOC » August 24th, 2015, 6:54 pm

Thanks i'll check that, maybe something done during wiring of the camper's hitch plug. I'll see if #3 and #4 were reversed, using your diagram. Your fix makes alot of sense now. Maybe that was a factory trick to allow the camper to look hot while on display on the lot? Thank you!!! I have an inquiry going with starcraft now, and will share their response here. CHecking the plug wiring now....

moallen

Post by moallen » August 24th, 2015, 5:31 pm

I have known people who jumpered pins 3 & 4 in the connector to keep their clearance lights on while camping. That's with it unhooked from the truck. The converter in the tt powers them in that case. I did try it once, and it looked cool. But they drew so much current the converter's cooling fan ran all the time - which was kind of annoying.
7-way-round-pin-trailer-connector.jpg
7-way-round-pin-trailer-connector.jpg (34.59 KiB) Viewed 2150 times
2016 Starcraft Launch Ultra Lite 24RLS
2016 Dodge Ram 4x4, 5.7L V8, 8 speed auto, 3.21 axle ratio

BassmanOC

Post by BassmanOC » August 24th, 2015, 12:06 pm

Thanks for the replies :) I'll go to the dealer to have them look at it. However, I would not have minded having the clearance lights running off the trailer battery, so that I don't have to draw so much amperes from my running lights circuit in the tow vehicle. Making it switchable from inside the trailer during a trip I want to use them with. Is that a common mod?

jcarlilesiu

Post by jcarlilesiu » August 23rd, 2015, 9:46 pm

The clearance lights should definitely be wired to the 12 volt connection to the TV. Not anything in side of your camper.

Definitely a warranty repair.
2014 Starcraft 16RB - Camper | 2015 GMC Yukon Denali XL

moallen

Post by moallen » August 23rd, 2015, 6:52 pm

Your clearance lights should not be connected to anything in your trailer. They should go directly to pin 3 of your 7 pin trailer-truck connector. In other words they should be powered by your truck not the trailer. I would think it would be very hard to find where they mis-wired that line to an interior circuit. But there's a chance the plant has done this before and might have a good guess. Why not let the dealer fix it?
2016 Starcraft Launch Ultra Lite 24RLS
2016 Dodge Ram 4x4, 5.7L V8, 8 speed auto, 3.21 axle ratio

BassmanOC

Exterior Clearance lights wired to table light and bed lighting!

Post by BassmanOC » August 23rd, 2015, 2:42 pm

Hello everyone, I just purchased a 2016 Launch, and the exterior clearance lights (Front and back) are connected to the circuit for my interior table light and bed lights. While camping, to turn the clearance lights off, I must remove the #4 15 amp fuse on the converter! This makes it impossible for me to read in bed at night, using the overhead light. :( The switches near the door do not affect the clearance lights. Is this by design? Was it wired incorrectly somehow? I think the clearance lights are wired to the wrong circuit, but where?

Is there an easy way to either install switches to isolate the clearance lights or correct the problem and have the clearance lights only work with the tow vehicle lights?

Thanks everyone