Hidden Storage

Discuss these hardside and hybrid camper trailers packed with amenities.
moallen

Re: Hidden Storage

Post by moallen » May 2nd, 2015, 3:18 pm

It would've been handy to store grill tools and such, because it's right above the propane quick connect. But I can't find a source for a door with the type lock (new for 2016) shown in this picture of one of the front compartments.
2016 Starcraft 24rls.jpg
2016 Starcraft 24rls.jpg (40.67 KiB) Viewed 2427 times
It might not be a big deal, but I'm sure it wouldn't help resale value to install something that doesn't match. So, I'm probably going to put some sort of door into that area from under the sofa. Could be a good place to hide valuables - like I have a lot to worry about...

Something else new (I think) for 2016 - a stationary low profile roof antenna. It also has a heavy duty cable lock mounted on the frame up front and a battery shutoff switch inside the front compartment. Not sure if those are new or not, but very handy.
2016 Starcraft Launch Ultra Lite 24RLS
2016 Dodge Ram 4x4, 5.7L V8, 8 speed auto, 3.21 axle ratio

rbrent

Re: Hidden Storage

Post by rbrent » April 28th, 2015, 8:43 pm

I have a 2015 24rls and it does not have the storage door that you are talking about, I have also seen those pictures with the extra storage door online. They must of been a option on some units. Wished they would of had them on all of the units. regardless how big the compartment is it's still outside storage.
Bob and Margaret
2015 Launch Ultra Light 24RLS
2016 Chevrolet 1500 Double Cab
Westland, Michigan

moallen

Hidden Storage

Post by moallen » April 27th, 2015, 9:37 pm

Starcraft's floorplan for a Launch 24RLS shows an outside accessible storage compartment in the back corner (entry side). But our new 2016 has no such compartment. That corner is not accessible from the inside or outside, and the dealer was at a loss to explain it and thinks it's probably empty/unused space.

Eventually I found some pictures of a 2015 24RLS on the web showing an outside door to in that corner on some units. Apparently, the door was eliminated on the 2016 models. I should also say the 2016 has much larger and heavier duty storage door locks. Maybe someone decided the space was too small to justify the expense of a 3rd door with the bigger locks.

In any case, as near as I can tell there is an empty space in that corner about 24" long, 18" deep and 18" high. I could either cut into it from under the jack knife sofa (cheap/easy method) or add a door outside (expensive/better method). Has anyone run into this mystery?
2016 Starcraft Launch Ultra Lite 24RLS
2016 Dodge Ram 4x4, 5.7L V8, 8 speed auto, 3.21 axle ratio