Hidden Storage

Discuss these hardside and hybrid camper trailers packed with amenities.
GaryG

Re: Hidden Storage

Post by GaryG » March 7th, 2017, 4:35 am

GaryG wrote:
February 5th, 2017, 3:59 am
Here is a photo of the wood stained trim I attached above the tile-look back splash in the kitchen and a photo of the nice storage bins that we placed on the shelf above the queen bed in the master bedroom. I did swap out the privacy curtains to the rear of the trailer as well. I've attached a photo of them as well after I added the one.
Here are a couple of photos of the accordion door for the master bedroom. I think it turned out great. Though you might like to see the finished product.
Attachments
0225171313.jpg
0225171313.jpg (62.81 KiB) Viewed 3512 times
0225171312.jpg
0225171312.jpg (82.46 KiB) Viewed 3512 times
2016 Starcraft 26 BHS Launch Ultra Lite - Gary from Boise, Idaho

Sbrinson

Post by Sbrinson » March 7th, 2017, 2:46 am

Greetings all,
I was somewhat surprised, after encountering this owners' forum, to find that a number of other people had encountered the "missing rear storage compartment" on the Launch 24RLS.

In early 2015 we attended an RV Show and were able to thoroughly examine a 2015 model 24RLS that a dealer had on display. It had the rear storage compartment (as well as the 19 foot awning--it does fit.) We liked the configuration of the trailer and struck a deal with the salesman. He placed an order with the factory, and we were assured our new 2016 model would be identical to the one we had seen at the show. I later went to the Starcraft website to clarify necessary hitch-height and hitch ball dimensions and had several email exchanges with a Starcraft Customer Care Representative. A few weeks later we were notified by the dealer that our 2016 model trailer had arrived. We went to pick it up on 20 March 2015.

When I first saw the trailer, I was somewhat concerned because the storage compartment and hatch that was supposed to be on the right rear side of the trailer was missing. I asked the salesman if installation of that item had perhaps had been overlooked. He said he would check on it. I pointed out that this storage compartment & hatch was clearly shown on the Starcraft website photos. It was also clearly shown on their floorplan diagram, and it was featured on the demonstration trailer that they had shown at the RV show. I was later told they thought there might have been some sort of structural concern that led the manufacturer to eliminate it. I asked them to confirm if that was actually the case, and to seek clarification as to the structural concern.

In April I had several more email exchanges with the dealership about some other problems with the trailer (furnace mounting recall) ...and once again inquired about the situation with the missing storage compartment & hatch. I had another series of email exchanges with the Starcraft Customer Care Representative, asking about the situation and once again pointed out the existence of the compartment & hatch on their website photos, and the fact that the compartment space still actually existed within a cabinet mounted in the right rear of the trailer. She said they didn't always update their website in a timely manner, and that the compartment and hatch was no longer being incorporated into that model trailer...reason unspecified. I asked if there was some sort of structural problem caused by the inclusion of the hatch....and she said she didn't know.

A few months later, I again checked the Starcraft website and was amazed to see apparently new photos of the new Launch 24RLS, which again shows the right rear storage compartment & hatch. I checked the floorplans shown on the website, and it again clearly shows the existence of the storage compartment. I returned to the website on 16 December 2016, and submitted another email to Starcraft Customer Service detailing my experience and concerns, and asked if we could come to some resolution of the situation. I suggested that if they would simply send me the hatch unit, I would be happy to handle having it installed.

After several more email exchanges, I was told that some "wall prints" showed the compartment & hatch apparently "wasn't part of the construction" when my unit was manufactured on 12 March, 2015, but that another print dated May 29 showed that it was now included. He concluded with the statement "As a mfg., we do make occasional revisions. I hope this answers your question." I replied that I appreciated his research into the matter, but that his answer didn't satisfy my concerns. He later responded that the necessary framing for the hatch installation had not been included in the wall panel, and that attempts to cut in a hatch could result in de-lamination of the wall panel, consequently they were unable to provide me with the hatch unit. I find it strange and unfortunate that Starcraft would have chosen to eliminate that particular structural item for a short period of only a few months during 2015, and then resume including it.

I would be curious to learn if any of the forum members who have installed their own hatch have observed any structural problems resulting from that operation. Pnevans solution using a refurbished hatch from a boneyard seems to be an extremely cost-effective method of obtaining access to the storage space, if it doesn't create a de-lamination problem.
2016 Launch 24RLS
Toyota Tundra SR5

GaryG

Post by GaryG » February 5th, 2017, 3:59 am

Here is a photo of the wood stained trim I attached above the tile-look back splash in the kitchen and a photo of the nice storage bins that we placed on the shelf above the queen bed in the master bedroom. I did swap out the privacy curtains to the rear of the trailer as well. I've attached a photo of them as well after I added the one.
Attachments
0204171121.jpg
0204171121.jpg (118.71 KiB) Viewed 3534 times
0204171120.jpg
0204171120.jpg (129.54 KiB) Viewed 3534 times
0204171118.jpg
0204171118.jpg (155.43 KiB) Viewed 3534 times
Last edited by GaryG on March 7th, 2017, 4:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Houston Remodeler

Post by Houston Remodeler » February 5th, 2017, 12:46 am

Our accordion door lasted less than 1 season.

After touring the RV lots, I found they installed a hard door by making the doorway narrower to accommodate the narrower door needed as not to interfere with the exit door. We have yet to build the new solid door, but its in the planning stage.
2015 24 RLS with some mods
2014 Ram 2500 diesel

GaryG

Post by GaryG » February 4th, 2017, 5:14 pm

Wow! Fantastic job! Thanks for sharing your excellent work. This just gives some of less confident folks an encouragement to 'press on' with improvements. I love my trailer and the sport of 'RVing' which includes always trying to make it better! LOL drives the Mrs. nuts but keeps me outta trouble!

I am ordering an accordion door for our master bedroom to replace the curtain. I've found a near wall color match accordion door from Camping World. I am going to move the original curtain to the back so the sink area can be closed off for privacy. There was a curtain there for that purpose but I moved it to be able to close off the bunks (for when the grand kids are occupying it) from the sink area. By adding a second curtain, it will give privacy for when someone wants to use the sink, brush teeth or change clothes. It will simply be just to add the other curtain track from the master bedroom and run it from the TV wall to the other wall by the sink. This is where the first curtain was when I bought the trailer last April. This is the original location of the rear curtain.

I have done a few other things as well; added lift struts under the lower bunk so it can be lifted up for easier storage access, added a support leg under the lower bunk to stabilize the sleeping area, added a stained color wood trim along the top of the fake tile wall paper that goes along the counter, secured the shower enclosure (which was loosely attached) with white-capped plastic screws that I got at Lowes, strengthened (by adding strips of wood) the queen bed mattress platform so it would not sink in the middle when we were sleeping on it and added foam strips all along where the plywood platform meets the wood frame. The whole bed felt more secure. I also added 5 nice cloth storage baskets for the upper shelf above the queen bed that look like they belong there. I should take some photos and let the forum see them.

Thanks again for sharing your fine work.

pnevans

Post by pnevans » February 4th, 2017, 11:59 am

Hi Folks, I accidentally stubbed across this thread and am Thankful!!! I just finished installing a door to my "Secret Compartment". I am Thrilled to gain access to this much space! When I found this thread I started searching for a door that would fit, I ran across an RV boneyard, and got a door for $25.00.
It was White, so I matched up the paint color and painted it to match, then added a white Stripe to make it look like it had been there all along.
Perfect to fit my small gas grille, my extension cords and awning lights, plus a bag of charcoal and lots of other stuff.

Thank You to the forum for giving me the idea!
Paul
IMG_4140.JPG
IMG_4140.JPG (46.62 KiB) Viewed 3568 times
IMG_4143.JPG
IMG_4143.JPG (41.15 KiB) Viewed 3568 times
Last edited by pnevans on August 20th, 2019, 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

secal48

Post by secal48 » August 6th, 2016, 10:26 pm

I hope you enjoy your 2017 as much as we have been. It's already been out to the Black Hills and next week eastern Michigan. Plus a lot of state parks around the area here. Just couple of minor warranty tweaks that our dealer has great about taking care of quickly.
2017 Launch 24RLS
2012 Dodge Durango

Terry

Post by Terry » August 6th, 2016, 12:23 am

I'm sorry as mentioned by secal48 it was a 2017 we ordered but the date on the back of brochure was 2016 my bad

Terry

Post by Terry » August 6th, 2016, 12:18 am

I believe the rear door was part of the elite package for the 2015. I just ordered a 2016 24RLS and was assured by my dealer thru the factory rep that it would have the right rear storage door in a non elite model. if you look at the 2016 launch brochure inside it shows the 24rls with a side rear door non elite

secal48

Post by secal48 » May 10th, 2016, 11:50 pm

Hi all. We just picked up our new 2017 24RLS last week and it has the third storage door. In fact, that was one of tipping points when we were deciding between this and the matching Jayco feather 24rlsw. The Starcraft website and brochures all noted the storage door in the floor plans area. We also loved the little end tables on either side of the trip fold sofa. Our first trip is this weekend and we can't wait.
2017 Launch 24RLS
2012 Dodge Durango