Squeaky Floor

Discuss these hardside and hybrid camper trailers packed with amenities.
GaryG

Re: Squeaky Floor

Post by GaryG » October 23rd, 2016, 5:29 pm

I went and tried the snap-off screws again, and got 4 of them to do as they are suppose too. I think it helped the floor, but it was a challenge finding places in the flooring that misses the metal framework. Just wanted to give an update.
2016 Starcraft 26 BHS Launch Ultra Lite - Gary from Boise, Idaho

GaryG

Post by GaryG » October 18th, 2016, 3:07 am

No, I didn't get another pdf diagram of the trailer frame. However Starcraft Customer Service rep actually phoned me today! I spoke with them about the frame work and they said, yes, the 2x2 runners are attached to the metal frame.

They said I would have to contact Lippert Industries, the manufacture of the frame, for a diagram. The rep did say the metal bracing or joist, if you will, (that the 2x2" wooden runners are attached too) run every so often the width of the trailer. I'm not one to give up easily, so I went back out to my trailer, and after measuring very carefully and using the stud finder, I was able to screw in 3 of the snap-off screws into the 2x2" runners without hitting the metal frame! The screws actually broke off just under the surface of the linoleum as they were suppose too. I believe the floor is already quieter. Most of my squeaking was just as you enter the trailer and in front of the kitchen counter.

I think I will just live with any more squeaking that is apparent. At least I believe I improved the issue.

I don't think I will contact Lipert Industries seeking a diagram of the trailer frame. If anyone does, I'd love to see a copy of it.

moallen

Post by moallen » October 16th, 2016, 11:46 am

Did you get the pdf of your floor from their customer support number?
Last edited by moallen on November 6th, 2017, 5:30 pm, edited 3 times in total.
2016 Starcraft Launch Ultra Lite 24RLS
2016 Dodge Ram 4x4, 5.7L V8, 8 speed auto, 3.21 axle ratio

GaryG

Post by GaryG » October 16th, 2016, 12:48 am

No, there are 2x2's 18" apart running the entire length of the trailer according to the diagram Starcraft sent me. But the diagram does not show what they are fastened to.

I just tried the screws from Counter-Snap and they refused to go in all the way. There was about a 1/2" left sticking out! It went in fine but it hit something solid and refused to go in any further. I suspect they hit metal frame that the 2x2's runners are fastened to. I tried a second one hoping that I would miss a metal cross-beam but again hit a solid material and the top of the screw broke off. I used a vice grip pliers to back it out. It only left a very unnoticeable hole.

If the screws would have been less than 2& 5/8ths" (the total dept of the flooring and runner) they would have worked. The company has shorter screws but they would be too short, they would barely go into the runner. Bummer.

I will attach a pdf of the diagram so you can more clearly see what I am talking about. I did use a few 1" paneling screws hoping to secure the flooring to the 2x2's but a bit longer nails would be better. I can hardly see the tiny nail heads.
flooring diagram from Starcraft
flooring diagram from Starcraft
IMG_20161015_183220511.jpg (117.52 KiB) Viewed 3544 times
dimensions from Starcraft
dimensions from Starcraft
IMG_20161015_183229107_HDR.jpg (123.76 KiB) Viewed 3544 times

moallen

Post by moallen » October 15th, 2016, 5:39 pm

GargG - I'm confused about the floor diagram you mentioned for your trailer. Are you saying the plywood or composite flooring is screwed directly to the metal frame? In other words, no 2x2's or anything in between the flooring and frame? I did try to use a stud finder to find something to drill into but had no luck.
Last edited by moallen on November 6th, 2017, 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GaryG

Post by GaryG » October 12th, 2016, 3:00 am

Actually when using the product there are no pilot holes. The screws are just drilled into the flooring and break off just underneath the flooring surface. It seems like an easy fix. After I get the product and use it I will post with the results. It will be a week or so until I get the product and then have the time to go to my trailer in storage to use the product.

Administrator
Site Admin

Post by Administrator » October 11th, 2016, 12:02 pm

I've been Seeing those breakaway screws more and more. Yeah, they do say for repairs that is the way to go because the holes are so small and easy to repair. I haven't actually used them. If you can absolutely locate the squeak .... You might think about using a syringe to shoot some wood glue in there to fill in some of the space the floor is moving into .... like right after you drill your pilot hole. The same way cracks in wood are repaired with a syringe. IDK. Just an idea ....

GaryG

Post by GaryG » October 11th, 2016, 3:14 am

I still have not removed the black underbelly covering to expose the squeaky flooring in my trailer. Starcraft said there were no floor joist and recommenced shims. It might be a temp fix, but not a long term solution.

I assume (and have emailed starcraft to verify that the one piece flooring composite is attached to the floor frame are of wood) they are wood and have found an online product that refastens the flooring down to the floor composite with screws. It is called "Squeak No More" floor repair. The kit is for both hard wood floors, carpeted floors and for linoleum covered floors.

If the flooring composite is attached to wood floor frames ( I don't know why they say there are no floor joists (maybe I'm using the wrong term) because in the pdf diagram Starcraft sent me, it shows 2x2 wooden stringers running the entire length of the trailer) then the screws going down through the lino into the flooring material and into the wood stringers should illuminate the squeaking.

I am wondering if any of you have heard of this product, and if so, tried it? I'd appreciate your opinions or results if you have used it. Here is the link to their site. http://www.squeakyfloor.com/counter-snap-repair-kit

It says the screws are very small and leave minimal puncture holes. I'd be willing to have a few small holes that can easily be calked with colored caulking if it rids me of the annoying squeaks. Hope to hear from some of you.

GaryG

Post by GaryG » August 8th, 2016, 12:49 pm

Yes, I'm wondering the same thing; that it's just going to be the nature of the beast! Bummer. Things like this annoy me because it should not be this way. I have wedges to put in between the floor and trailer frame but have not gotten under the trailer to remove the underbelly covering to see where the real issue is. I guess when I've had enough of the squeak, I'll crawl under there and see what I can do. It's out of warranty because I'm the second owner, although the trailer is a 2016 model year.

Thanks for the update on this issue. I'm wondering how many other Starcraft Launch owners are having the same issue?

moallen

Post by moallen » August 8th, 2016, 1:09 am

That's what the dealer did.
Last edited by moallen on November 6th, 2017, 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.