Squeaky Floor

Discuss these hardside and hybrid camper trailers packed with amenities.
Houston Remodeler

Re: Squeaky Floor

Post by Houston Remodeler » August 6th, 2016, 3:02 pm

Wedges would fall out over time.

I'd be inclined to use an adhesive, such as PL Premium to adhere the plywood to the frame permanently. Let it set overnight and the PL turns hard as concrete. You can use the 3 or 8 year stuff. The 8 year is thicker and may work better in this instance.
2015 24 RLS with some mods
2014 Ram 2500 diesel

GaryG

Post by GaryG » August 6th, 2016, 4:08 am

Interesting, I emailed Starcraft about the squeaky floor in my 26BHS and they told me there were no floor joist and that the entire floor was one laminated piece. They said to fix a squeak you would have to put a wedge between the flooring and the steel frame that the flooring is screwed to. I don't want to remove the underbelly cover to expose the area where the squeak might be. It sounds like a ton of work and a mess trying to put it back. Guess I'll just live with it since I'm the second owner and the 2 year warranty does not transfer to the 2nd owner. I hope your annoying squeak will be history when you get your TT back. Keep us posted on whether or not the problem was solved.

Oh Starcraft did send me a pdf diagram of the flooring for my model trailer. That was helpful in seeing where the flooring is attached to the trailer frame.

Here is a copy of the email from Starcraft:

"This is a Laminated floor so there are no joist. You will need to put a wedge between the frame and the floor to stop the squeak. Attached is a copy of the floor frame, I hope this will help. "
2016 Starcraft 26 BHS Launch Ultra Lite - Gary from Boise, Idaho

moallen

Post by moallen » May 4th, 2016, 6:31 pm

I wonder if using nails instead of screws (probably a power nailer) to fasten wood framing is common in trailers? If so, it explains a lot a lot of squeaking. I can understand using nails/brads on trim and paneling but floor joists?
Last edited by moallen on November 6th, 2017, 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2016 Starcraft Launch Ultra Lite 24RLS
2016 Dodge Ram 4x4, 5.7L V8, 8 speed auto, 3.21 axle ratio

GaLobo

Post by GaLobo » May 3rd, 2016, 6:06 pm

Ours squeaks and we have learned to live with it. I am afraid to have anyone deal with it. We have also been in another 24RLS that squeaks.
Our squeak is to the left of the front door near the kitchen bathroom door.

moallen

Squeaky Floor

Post by moallen » May 3rd, 2016, 2:11 pm

Anyway, the dealer Colerain is working with Starcraft for a resolution. Stay tuned...
Last edited by moallen on November 6th, 2017, 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2016 Starcraft Launch Ultra Lite 24RLS
2016 Dodge Ram 4x4, 5.7L V8, 8 speed auto, 3.21 axle ratio